Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

First Friday of 2014 Celebration

2013's last sunset in SW Louisiana
I'll be honest and say that I really wasn't in the mood to celebrate today.  It's been a weird two days, and not in a good way.  This week marks the one year anniversary of one of my patients being accidentally shot by his cousin.  His mother came to the clinic with another child yesterday and cried.  Yesterday a colleague's sister died while giving birth to her first baby.  Flu and RSV are running wild in Southwest Louisiana.  One patient lost a father to flu.  She's only 2 months old and sick herself.  
Not a very bright beginning to 2014. 
Tonight I was just going to visit blogs that I follow to see what folks around the globe were up to and well, a funny thing happened:  I found things to celebrate.  It reminded me of the cool things in life, even if they seem insignificant.  Life is tragedy yes, but it's also victories and celebrations.  We can choose to wallow in sadness or look for the joy even in pain. 
So I have two things I want to celebrate this week:
1. The privilege of being able to share in both the joys and sorrows of so many peoples' lives. 
2.  Bloggers.  It's so amazing how people who don't know each other personally can be such an encouragement.  Thanks to all who share! 

7 comments:

  1. Bethie, you are amazing. I don't think I could cope witnessing so much tragedy.
    One of the worst things must be to lose your life in childbirth, when there's so much to look forward to.
    All the best. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is pain, your highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something." Wesley from The Princess Bride. I'm glad you were able to find something good to celebrate among the sadness. Happy New Year. Happy Celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difficult time you have had and indeed sharing the joys and sorrows with each other and with out loved ones is a privilege. Thank yo for celebrating this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Celebrate" has had the same effect on me...we can always find something good to celebrate. Sorry though for the sadness and hard memories. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to all for the nice comments. I love the Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you've been touched by some tragic events so far this year. Kudos to you for celebrating the small things in the face of all that. Your empathy is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I've found most of my encouragement and cheerleaders via the internet. It is so crazy how we are all so interconnected these days!

    ReplyDelete