Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Highest Calling


I’m always torn on Mother’s Day as to whether or not I want to go to church.  Do I want to go hear how even though I’ve chosen to follow Christ I’m still missing the mark because I don’t have children? The message is:  I haven’t embraced the highest calling so I'm not doing something right. I'm not "complete"
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Jesus say the greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind?  And the second is love your neighbor as yourself.   Jesus goes on to say if you love your mother, father, sons, daughters more than Me you aren’t worthy of following me. (Mark 12:28-31; Matthew 10:37; Luke 14:26)  
Our highest calling is to glorify God.  We do this through choosing to obey and let Him lead us.  For some that’s missionary.  For some that’s healer.  For some that’s wife, husband, mother, father. There are thousands of ways God uses us.  All roles are equal.  It’s society that assigns value and elevates one over the other.  The lie is that life is meaningless without kids. I’m not buying it. God says there’s no greater road than the one that leads to Heaven. I’m not trading my eternal treasures in Heaven for temporary ones here.
I love my mother.I appreciate all she sacrificed for us. This Mother’s Day I’m going to thank her for loving me and being there for me. I’m going to thank my parents for giving me the confidence to live a life worthy of Christ.   I’m not going let others make me think I’m wrong for the road I've chosen.   I know motherhood is an important role, but that doesn’t make what I do any less.  I’m not in a holding pattern waiting for life to begin after motherhood.   
I’m going to say thank you to those who cover for me when I have to take off for the same gyn, dentist, eye appointments they do. I’m going to sympathize because I hate dishes and laundry too—yes, single people with no children get dishes and clothes dirty. I’m going to be jealous because I had to take my own garbage can out in the rain instead of having a kid to do it. 
I’m going to say you're welcome for covering for those moms who take off for field trips and soccer games. I’m going to be forgiving when a friend breaks plans for a sick child. I’m going to do my work cheerfully even if I don't get a thank you. 
  If God has in your life to be a mother, great.  Embrace that with all you have.  But, if that's not where He's leading you, don't force it.  Life's hard enough living it where you should be.  Don't add the wrong direction to the mix.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% Any person, organization or church that would think otherwise would be avoided were I in your shoes. You have to do what you think God is leading you to do to glorify His name, not what others want you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my church and my friends. I try not to get too frustrated with them because I don't believe anything they say is intentionally to aggrivate me. Plus, in all my years I haven't found a place that doesn't at least imply this. I just have to trust God and pray for His guidance and patience with others.

    ReplyDelete