Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Reflections

Wow, two posts in one day.  I'm a maniac.  This one should've been posted last week, but it's been crazy at work, so I haven't really had time to reflect on the A to Z Challenge.  Now it's too late to link at the challenge site, but I'm going to post this anyway. 
I started the challenge because my friend Sylvia over at Writing in Wonderland suggested it and I thought, hey, fun.  Why not do it? 
Who thought it would make me crazy? 
This was my first year  so I was concerned I wouldn't do it right.  I wasn't sure what a blog hop was at first.  It sounded like a dance more than a computer thing.
I would stay up late the night before, trying to get the post just right, worrying over each word so that I wouldn't say the wrong thing.  I'd be exhausted at work and still fretting over the posts.   I'd scramble trying to visit sites.  I was making myself insane trying to get to all 1700+ sites.  Then came the challenge to get over 100 followers.  I tried to figure out how to get more people to my site.  My mind was filled with all sorts of crazy notions.
Then it hit me:  I can't possibly do all this.  So, I took a different approach. I went for quality over quantity.  I didn't try to collect followers, but found sites I was interested in. I wrote my posts, kept up with the sites I could, and added a few more as time permitted. 
It started being what it was supposed to be: fun.  I posted each letter on the right day. I visited other sites.  I finished with my sanity intact. I'm still checking out other sites on the list and keeping up with those I linked to. I didn't get 100 followers, but I have more than when I started.  I have new friends to check out and I learned about all sorts of things from law, to Scandinavian culture, to writing techniques and murders. I went all over the US and the world.  It was a wild, fun ride.
Did I have some favorite places?  Sure, but to point out a few would be unfair to the others I don't have space to write about. 
This is the most important lesson I learned:  I write because I'm a writer.  I write what I'm passionate about.  If people buy it, fine, but whether or not they do, I'm still going to write.
Will I do it again?  I'm already thinking of how I can do next year different, so I guess that means I will. 


5 comments:

  1. I am still recovering from A to Z. lol I visited some 2,000 blogs and commented some 1200 times, aside from writing my blog.

    I'll be back for more punishment...er, fun next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the whole blog hop addictive. I'm frustrated now because so many of the sites I visit are not participating in the reflections. Well done to you for doing so. I admire your dedication despite other commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying the reflections posts and learning a lot just by reading them. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so wiped out I forgot about the reflections post with a link, but I made one of my own anyway. I did what you did. I didn't try to go for quantity, but I went for quality. Great post!

    Glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like your reflections post, but am still laughing over picturing you at the wedding watching weird al videos on your phone ;-)

    Sorry I didn't find you during AtoZ - I'm follower #39 now, if that helps! And by your next blog hop (or two), your numbers will get to 100.

    The important thing is to have fun.
    (...and turn off word verification. jk.)

    ReplyDelete