Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Big Fish


National Aquarium, Baltimore
My Daffodils bloomed this weekend making me want to watch Big Fish.   I like it because it's fun and Ewan McGregor getting the snot beat out of him in a field of daffodils is pretty sappy and sweet.  I guess I really am a romantic at heart.
In the movie the main character Edward Bloom talks about how fish grow to their environment.  I did some research and that's only partially true. Fish will continue to grow unless something stunts their growth.  Being confined in a small space will do this. Stunting actually hurts the fish and shortens its life.
The good thing is that, unlike fish, people have choices.  You can't change circumstances, but you have the power to control your actions and reactions.  I've seen people pack big lives in small spaces. In big areas, people will still live small, selfish lives.
 People think they have to leave home to grow, but it's more of how you choose to live.  You could have the normal story life--but where would the fun in that be?  I'd rather the story with a field of daffodils and  Big Fish. 
Colorful Fish Community
There's also the novel Big Fish: a Novel of Mythic Proportions, by Daniel Wallace.  It's a great read.

Oh, come on. I can't go back, I'm a human sacrifice. If I go back they'll think I'm a coward. I'd rather be dinner than a coward.~ Edward Bloom
 
Are you letting something stunt you?  What can you change about it?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! I don't take enough chances. That changes TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd rather be dinner than a coward," Isn't that interesing? I'm not sure I'd like to be that big of a Big Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food for thought...!
    see what I did there?

    auntyamo
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete